Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Who, the What and the When



About a year ago I was invited to contribute to The Who, the What and the When: 65 Artists Illustrate the Secret Accomplices of History. The book focuses on portraits of people who helped change history. It highlights the famous figures you’re already familiar with, but instead it commemorate the friends, relatives, neighbors and muses who enabled, inspired and directly helped those figures achieve their mark. The book is brilliantly created and curated by Jenny Volvovski, Julia Rothman and Matt Lamothe, one of the best creative teams working today.
My subject of interest turned out to be Joseph Dalton (J.D.) Hooker, Charles Darwin’s colleague. I read the essay (written by Colin Milroy) and did some background check and portrayed him as a smart, carrying modest man and a loyal friend. He was one of the greatest British botanists and explorers of the 19th century.
Looking back I wondered if that was the best way to describe him, especially considering the high range of possibilities illustrating a botanist (imagine all the plants!!!!) but every time I come to the conclusion that making something showy would have been lying about who this man really was.


Yesterday I received my copy of the book which is full of truly amazing illustrations and fascinating characters. Each spread reveals a whole world and you can never expect what will be next. I highly recommend it for everyone. Yes everyone.